Monday, September 13, 2010

Jasmine Star: She Rocks! | portrait photography

A couple weeks ago I was so very lucky to attend an online workshop by Creative Live featuring the super fabulous photographer, Jasmine Star.  I was completely blown away by how much she taught me in such a short amount of time about the photography business, branding and myself.  It was a huge eye opener for me.

One of the things she said to us was that you should have photos of yourself on all of your websites so that clients will know who you are.  I thought long and hard about myself, my business, and what I want to portray to my clients about who I am. 

So, who am I?  Well, I'm a work in progress that's for sure.  But who isn't, right?  More specifically, I'm a girl who likes to have fun.  I love my cut-off jeans and flip flops.  I love living in Florida and the long summers we have here.  I could care less for the humidity, but I realize it's all part of the package and I don't think I could ever live somewhere where the beaches are more than an hour drive away.  I'm actually a California girl.  I was born there and I love that state too, even though I haven't been there since I was very young.

I'm really nice, too nice sometimes...so others tell me anyway.  I love people.  A lot.  But, I'm not naturally a "people person".  I'm shy.  It takes a lot of effort for me to not be quiet, but I'm OK with that because it makes me a good listener, and I'm a very good listener.  I'm one of those people who can find something good, and something I like, about every person I meet.  I worry about others... all. the. time.  Sometimes this drives my husband crazy.  He says I worry too much, but I know that he loves me for my big heart just the same.

People never think that I am as old as I am.  I'm 32.  I like that they think I'm younger because I love youth, the innocence of being young, the natural happiness that younger people, especially children, have.  It has nothing to do with looks, but, really...what girl wouldn't mind that they still get carded all the time when they are 32?  I'm not complaining. 

I'm a country girl.  A beach girl.  An urban girl.  A daughter.  A sister.  A wife.  A mom.  A stepmom. Well, I like to mix it all up.  I'm a little bit of everything.  I don't believe in all or nothing.  I think, for me anyway, it's better to have variety so you don't get bored.  

So, how in the world could I incorporate all of that into a photo that says something about me?  Easy.  Just drive down to my sister-in-law's house that's in the country but twenty minutes from the beach.  Spend the entire three-day weekend on the beach. Get up the morning we are headed back home, throw on my favorite cut-offs, walk outside of her gorgeous house into her beautiful yard, set the camera, hand it to my sis-in-law, Kim, and tell her to snap some photos.  Done.  Piece of cake. 

She did a really great job too.  Thanks, Kim! I love you! 

So, this is me.  Jessica.  Jess.  Jessi.  Whatever you prefer I like them all.









Guardian really wanted in the photos with me.  It was funny.






This is one of my favorites.



And this one.



I liked this one on the swing too.  I never see myself from this angle.


Thanks for listening to me talk about myself.  I'd much rather know more about you though.  My sister is working on My Website so it's under construction but you can find me on My Facebook.  I'm always there, or email me, jessicaswatts@gmail.com.  Or, just leave a comment below.

Talk to you soon!

Jess


4 comments:

  1. YEA! SO glad I could be a part of this! You are a B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. woman that makes me ill when you get carded cause I am right there with you and I don't :(. I am so proud of you going for your passion of photography. You have such a natural gift that is exquisite in photos! So proud! LOVE YOU MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! i love this. can you be surprised that i am working on a similar write-up? i love that we were able to be part of that experience together. how fun :) . love you - so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post!! And you are TOO CUTE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very proud of you, Jess. I just know you will be a smashing success.

    ReplyDelete